Friday, October 29, 2010

Positively Not a Pessimist.


"I am an optimist. It does not seem too much use being anything else."
~Winston Churchill

I have been spoken to a lot lately about people's reactions to my continuous positivity within the past 4-5 months. Some people are irritated that I flood my Facebook status lines with thoughts of constant thankfulness; believe it or not, that can be overbearing to people. I've been asked about the sudden life turnaround and what brought it fourth? To sum it up quickly, without examples, I've been inspired to realize that even a well has a bottom. I've found out that even the darkest of days has an end. I've discovered that no pain is forever.

"Fear is that little darkroom where negatives are developed."
~Michael Pritchard

I find myself even as of today battling on a consistent basis the trials that stand between me and success. I heard it said once that losers see barriers where winners see hurdles. It feels truer now than ever before. I often times have to hit my knees just to regain the strength to stand. Often times, counting all the beauty in life is the only way to drown out the misery. One of the most inspirational people in my life is a father-like-figure named Bill who has practically acted as a dad to me ever since mine passed away. He encourages me often with this, "When you've done all...Stand!"Add Image
Add Image

It is so often in life that our posture dictates how life either knocks us down or picks us up. We drown ourselves in doubts and questioning; never really trusting the work that's been done in us in the past. I've always respected how so many cultures build monuments, even our own, in memory of great accomplishments. Whether it's a statue of a famous philosopher or theologian the shrine(s) stand to mark a great break through or achievement of some sort.

I have grown an affinity towards building small monuments within my own life to remind me of all the great things that have happened in my life. Building my life on blocks of pessimism would be a tremendous misdeed given the abundance of blessings I've received; much outweighing the tragedy and pain and struggles. Granted, I think I can exchange blows with many who have had troublesome upbringings; however, I've certainly not seen the worst of what this world has to offer.

Being a realist is something that scares me. I used to claim that title; mainly because it sounded trendy and catchy. I read this quote once and it made me realize how wrong I was about being a so-called, 'realist'. "The realist is the man, who having weighed all the visible factors in a given situation and having found that the odds are against him, decides that fighting is useless..." Yuck. That was my initial thought. A thought I've most certainly revisited since moving to California a year ago. However, I don't think I really understand how anti-realist I was until I sold out to optimism.

Therefore, coincidentally and necessarily, I became a true-hater of pessimism. Here are a few quotes about pessimism that sum up my true feelings about the disease that plagues peoples minds and hearts in our culture, and many others:

"Pessimist: One who, when he has the choice of two evils, chooses both..."

"A pessimist is one who feels bad when he feels good for fear he'll feel worse when he feels better..."

"Pessimism leads to weakness, optimism to power..."


I have a lot of pessimistic friends; none of which I take counsel from. I think I'd stand a better chance shaking an 8-ball and waiting for an answer than taking advice from someone whose lens of negativity fogs and blurs all understanding of good. I don't care what your worldview is. Whether your a Buddhist or Agnostic, if your mind is clouded with thoughts of depravity than you my friend have failed to realize along the road of life the water and air, and only appreciated the gravel and caves.

An attitude of thankfulness never leaves one wanting. An attitude of needing always leaves one wanting. So, why wait around for things to come when we have already been given what we need to succeed. This quote always seems to encourage me when I find myself acting out in a sense of unrighteous entitlement: "Be thankful for what you have; you'll end up having more...but...if you concentrate on what you don't have, you will never, ever have enough."

In closing, I just want to encourage anyone (if anyone) who reads this to realize that we can spend our lives stacking obstacles up, or, we can spend our lives climbing over them. The importance to persevere has never been more important than it is right now. We live in a country so heavily affected by this economic downfall that family after family is being broken apart. I see people on a regulatory basis that have lost everything and are trying to rebuild. So, let those of us who do appreciate what we have, even if it's not much to anyone else, be a light in a dark place. Shine fourth a glorious beam of hope into a dismal and dying land that sees the end of the road, not the light at the end of the tunnel.







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home