Monday, November 29, 2010

when life hands you lemons...well...looks like you've got some lemons.




"A thankful heart is not only the greatest virtue, but the parent of all virtues..."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

I am thankful today, not anymore than yesterday, probably about the same amount. Today was core-day at the gym; my least favorite, to say the least. I've always got a kick out of the idea of 'ab' workouts. For those of us who have never seen our 'abs', such a concept seems futuristic and ludicrous. However, I know that good things come to those who wait; but I've also heard that the early bird gets the worm. Perhaps the worm is a bad thing, but I've always observed birds to be mightily-fond of such.

I drive a 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport-it has 142,000 miles on it and has been a brilliant workhorse the past year or so. No, I haven't acquired a family since my last blog and no I don't use my van for 'cargo' or any other sort of work related issues. I just drive a minivan. And, believe it or not, for a 25 year old single male that's somewhat awkward and particularity creepy. I don't see the end of the "baby on board" or "expecting a family" jokes approaching anywhere in the near future; the van is a blessing a curse. A blessing if you like to sleep in vehicles that have ample space. A curse if your trying to find a girlfriend. However, I'm still very thankful for a fully-functional (besides the rear window) automobile.

I live in a house with a family. The family isn't mine. I just rent a room and share the facilities. It has been a really unique experience for me; the first time I've ever lived with a family for a prolonged period of time. Now, I'm not saying I didn't have a family upbringing. I did, it just wasn't the typical mom and dad situation that most people grow up under and it most certainly wasn't a 'christian' household whatsoever. I've learned a lot of things living in a house with 6, 8, and a 10yr old boys. I've learned that "stupid" is a bad word and that sleeping in past 6am is near impossible. I've learned that above all things right now, being single, without a wife, without a family, is a good place for me. I'm thankful that although I love kids; I don't want any, yet.

I've been fired more times than Lane Kiffin; almost. This year has been a weird one. I took a leap of faith, Evil Knievel style, just taking a shot in the dark so to speak. I landed on my face, American's Funniest Home Video style. I realized I wasn't much of a commission based salesmen; and found out I look bad in mauve dress shirts. I became substantially more astute in the ways of business operations and marketing ventures. Blockbuster kept my movie knowledge high; and Starbucks kept my energy level high. All these jobs, all these adventures, laden with failures and success embedded within one another and all intertwined into a unique concoction of developmental perseverance. I couldn't deny the reality that it all came in perfect timing; something to be truly thankful for, divine timing.

I love the weather in Southern-California. Although, I'm not gonna lie, I was sweating like Darryl Strawberry at a custody hearing when the summer hit. It came down like fire from heaven, setting my epidermis ablaze with its fierce penetration of what's commonly referred to as 'sun-block' but is better titled as 'doesn't block'. Of course the only air conditioning problems my vehicle has ever suffered was in the midst of a 114 degree afternoon in downtown Los Angeles; it was an epic hotness, like Baywatch or something. However, as the season went on the beach trips became less frequent, my tan grew lighter, and the heat wore off, like a Ross Perot, 'Ross for Boss' sticker off my dad's old dodge. I acclimated to the heat eventually and have become mightily-fond of the assimilated temperateness of so-cal.

It's been a long strand of habitual thankfulness that has led me to the place I'm in. Even as I sit here at my favorite Bucks' just flickin' away at the plastic-squares (keyboard?) I understand that even amidst true thankfulness we will still have our worries, our concerns, and our struggles. However, every enemy, whether physical or metaphorical, is so much more true-to-size when we battle it from a position of strategic-and-intentional thankfulness. So, I encourage whomever is reading this to examine your own life and look at the plethora of faults and shortcomings and find the best aspects of them, and run with it.



"If you can't be content with what you've received, be thankful for what you've escaped..."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home