Friday, November 26, 2010

a nebulous nebbish.



Thanksgiving is an interesting concept; we are celebrating our thankfulness for the founders of our country. We are celebrating their unique ability to trick and trap the natives so we could take their land and massacre a few hundred thousand of em' along the way. Now, I'm not saying I'm not thankful for that, but then again, I am saying I'm not thankful for the methodology therein. But, it just goes to show that America has a way of moving forward despite potential road blocks; i.e. 'U.N., Indians, environmental safety, etc...'

I felt like a circa 1621 native at work yesterday; I worked ten-hours and got completely shafted by a bunch of sly-people, and their trickiries. Except, their tricks included 6% tips, which, according to multiple studies done throughout the United States, conducted by myself of course, is considered, "cheap." I understand the economy is in the midst of a wee-little hiccup, however, that doesn't justify your inability to be courteous. I am glad you decided to join me for your Thanksgiving Day meals but I am not glad you thought only of yourself. For those few people who were actually thankful on Thanksgiving-thank you. And, to all the others, get bent.

Ok, so I'll refrain from ranting any further, for now. Out of all the things I realized yesterday the most important was how much I missed being with family during the holidays. I watched facebook-status after facebook-status beam lights of excitement from friends and family at home, all joyful to be around those they love. I noticed picture after picture being uploaded from the various feast's occurring around the world; all people I love, surrounded by those who love them. I wasn't saddened too deeply by the vast-mileage that separate my family and I because I believe soon enough that gap will close; temporary, but it will be glorious nonetheless.

All day yesterday I had customers apologizing to me and telling me how 'sorry' they were that I had to work; I let them know I wanted to be there. Guess what!? I wasn't lying. I love the opportunity to make money and put some cash back for a rainy day; or for a trip north, either way, they'll both involve rain most likely.
However, I'm sure I was one of the few people who actually appreciated the opportunity to make some extra cash; so many people's attitudes were a direct reflection of their lack of thankfulness. Even after the worst night I've ever had at a job in the past few years, I was still thankful, maybe not for the atrociously-cheap tippers, but thankful that I wasn't alone on thanksgiving nonetheless.

I don't miss the normalcy of my family because such doesn't exist; I love my family because of how unique they are in both manner and mannerism.
I miss my aunt, her petite 4 ft 6ish frame, white hair frazzled, thick brim glasses and a thermos full of box wine, lipstick stained menthol cig just hanging loosely about her mouth, skipping about the kitchen getting food for everyone but herself of course. Uncle Ray, face of a man whose lived a life full of adventure-heart of heaven, mouth full of hell, just giving everyone a hard time and making this whole Turkey-Day fiasco that much more entertaining. Uncle Denny is moving strategically to and fro the kitchen with various electric hand tools; slicing and dicing that turkey viciously all while wearing a checkered-shirt and suspenders. The rest of us sit there with a deer in flashlight (headlights seem dramatic) look just patiently awaiting our feast.

This blog is so disorganized and chaotic thus represents my family perfectly; leaves one somewhat razzled about what they've actually encountered. I am thankful that I can have really bad days followed by super good ones. Here I am, ready to embrace another week (& weekend) of awesomeness, good work, healthy living, etc. I hope you've had a phenomenal Thanksgiving and it was all you hoped for and more; but, if you didn't then we dine together in awkwardness and partial-letdown. In the words of a famous South-Central Rapper/Poet, "better days, better days, better days..." (Tupac). And remember the words of a far-more important and influential man, C.H. Spurgeon: "If the Lord makes your cup sweet, than drink it with grace. If the Lord makes your cup bitter, than drink it in communion with Him..."





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home