Sunday, August 20, 2006

Partial Exposure


A sheer snapshot


A summer in
Europe believe it or not presented me with much time and space for reflection. I had ample time to do things like; people watching in Munich, Guitar playing in front of a drifting Swiss sunset, and watching hearts be melted into the palm of Jesus' hand in a foreign language. All of these things triggered a response within me, a yearning for an explanation, a desire for answers to the questions I’ve been asking all my life. "Why me?" "Why here?" "Why now?" I know with unfailing certainty that the response my loving heavenly Father gave me was a simple and sustained, "Why not?"
As I sat before the
Wecht River in Ommen, Holland at six-fifteen on a Sunday morning I allowed my mind to float away. Thoughts of my future wife, my future ministry, my future kids and even a spotted dog named "Spotless." An abrupt sound of water splashing being caused by springing fish startled me and shook me out of my day dream. I realized that my common problem is that I have been so fearful of the past I’ve thrown myself in feet first into the future. By doing so I tend to miss the beautiful simplicity of the present. I have partially traded the validity of His awesomeness now for that of the future. Sitting before the still (mostly) water and just singing to the Lord I saw so clearly that He just wants me to be Ben Strength; now and here, nothing more. Anything else severely prohibits Him from truly guiding and leading; He just wants me to be.
To merely "Be" and not to "do." It seems like such a transition, a switch of roles. Gladly I walk with this new revelation in hopes that I may not miss a glimpse of what our creative maker is doing before me. I don't want to take a Bavarian Bubble Gum sunset for granted ever again. I don't want to simply pass by the majestic English Gartens of Munich. And I definitely don't want to just sprint past the princess God could set before me.

I am here. Waiting. Patiently. I am comforted in the stillness of His hidenness. Knowing He's here working in me; even though I cant see or feel it.
What a great God we serve...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ben,
Your writing is refreshingly transparent and thought provoking. This blog reminded me of I AM. The name God told us to call Him speaks of His desire for us to live in the present. Not that He's bounded by time and that He isn't the was or will be, but He knows us and our tendencies to dwell on the guilt of the past and the anxiety of the future.
Anyway, thanks for sharing your heart.
Lauren Hawk

8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home