Saturday, September 08, 2007

tis' the season

I don't want to necessarily give this blog the title of, 'summer recap' because I don't have the time or the patience to put together such a piece of literary genius that would do justice as a summary of the summer i just endured.


So, tis' the season to be the recipient of a viciously painful near 1st degree sunburn (c'mon, that still hurts!) and a mind-numbing heat stroke. Tis' the season to fall in and out of infatuation, mainly out, and recover in time to functional as a normative-piece-of-society when schools starts. Tis' the season to stay up til' 1 and sleep til' 1. Tis' the season.

I wouldn't really consider the summer a 'vacation' because most of us have to work jobs we wouldn't normally work, and melt away our days at a boat-launch pumping gas or at Burger King reminding those customers, "You can have it your way." Neither are necessarily horrific or debilitating but they both offer a painfully vivid reminder that we as college students still lack the necessary skills and abilities to be an acceptable piece of the societal puzzle.

The first few weeks of summer was spent deciding where and what to do with these three-months of empty calender space. So many options, so much time, so little money. "I could go on a nation-wide road trip!" I thought to myself. "I could visit friends in Germany!" I realized. But, in the end the most notable factor was that I have a broken spine and an empty checkbook; both disqualifying factors for a potential summer of enjoyment.

I ended up working off and on for my school as a receptionist; yes, I was a receptionist. I was also able to pick up some cash for various odd jobs throughout the summer thus providing me with a plethora of pork 'n' beans and what seemed like a life supply of chili. I've never experienced such culinary creativity in my life, apparently after two-straight months of those two items as main-course-meals I found incredibly unique ways of making what I had, eatable and enjoyable.

Outside of journaling and blogging until my hands bled I also had the awesome chance to learn the major and minor pentatonic scales on my ol' guitar. This actually sparked an old interest and passion and has completely rejuvenated my desire to play. I'm realizing as time progresses that the music is not only therapeutic but brings a sense of calmness in calamity. I haven't yet found a better combination than a cup of french pressed Arabian Mocha Sunani, my guitar, and my moleskin. So far, its the best.

Well, that's enough for one day. I already feel bored just sitting here.

Here is a poem to illuminate the elements of my summer into some form of creative writing:

Fifa 07 on the xbox,
Germany can't be stopped.
Late nights and corn dogs,
coffee shops and obnoxious blogs.
Automobile's consistently ill-functioning,
cell phone bills ridiculously sickening.
Coastal cruises and p-town excursions,
starbucks a weakness my bank accounts hurting.
Free-time unending and sleep schedule broken,
the trials i've endured should earn me a token.
The resounding sound of school bells loudly ringing,
has the voice in my head screaming, "Get out know! What the hell are you thinking!"
Doubt, fear, and awkward at times,
thoughts of escaping here filled up my mind.
festive lights and candles galore,
filled up my room from the ceiling to the floor.
I'm ending this poem because only to me will it make sense,
but I figured at least I'd give ya' my 2 cents.

Call Goethe. He's got some competition.

haha.

Late.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home